Saturday, July 14, 2012

Caffe Strada

One day, seated in the sunlight at a cute little cafe in Berkeley, CA named “Caffe Strada,” I was writing in my journal, in conversation with the Lord. For me, journaling is the best way to be in fellowship with my creator and I find that I can express myself the best in writing. As a woman who spreads herself thin in the duties of life, it is easy to become overwhelmed and collect a mass of thoughts that clouds my way of verbal expression, even with God. Today during my time with Him, I thought of some encouraging words from my friend, sorority sister, and fellow blogger, Jamie: “I think I was more excited than I should have been to see your comment on my blog post. You need to start a real one!” I really enjoyed reading written word from my friend about things going on in her life, how she was felt about those things with pictures to go along all in a setting that was much more intimate and valued when compared to quick, abbreviated thoughts and expressions that we commonly see on social networks like Facebook and Twitter. Not only did I benefit from the enjoyment in reading Jamie’s blog, but she also benefited from my interest in what’s going on in her life. That is what we do when we care about our friends; we take time to make them feel loved and see what is happening in their lives, learning what they value most. God created us to love and care about each other in a personal way, and I strongly feel that social media, though beneficial at times, is really separating us from this God-given privilege. This summer, I have been far away from my friends and family, and a text every once in a while is okay, a phone or Skype call is good, but what is best is a hand-written, paper letter. The value of a hand-written letter comes from the time set aside to produce it, the thoughts that went into its composition, the personality expressed through its artwork, and most importantly the connect between writer and receiver: the individual receiving the letter is the ONLY receiver of this letter. Blogging can be similar to a letter in that it is thought-out and time was taken to write it, and in my case I am directing it to only a small community, which includes you! So consider yourself already very important to me as I am directing these “letters” to you.
Thus, I hope that you know how important you are in my life as a result of me opening up my heart to you through this blog (of course this will not replace conversations in person, obviously). With that, I want to just briefly summarize what my intent of these letters is. The past few months as some of you already know, have been completely life-changing. I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, and He now shapes my daily exploration and desires of life. You can count on Him being very present in this blog, as you may have already noticed. Without him, I am nothing; a truth I have come to understand this summer. Another lesson I have learned this summer is that if there is something I truly desire, the Lord will provide. He has rooted in me a passion for adventure, activity, food and nourishment, and relationships. This summer I have discovered that I badly want to cook and bake LOTS…and also taste, while nourishing myself appropriately and helping others do so as well. I have also recently taken up longboarding…or sidewalk surfing…or skateboarding on a longer skateboard (for those who think longboarding is surfing in the ocean). Let me just say, there are TONS of longboarders out here in Berkeley, and to see them go down these hills like they were born to ride; it just fills me with drive to go out there and do it, too! It has been a struggle at times to push myself, but that’s why it’s an adventure. It also takes patience and I am learning to accept myself where enough is enough and know that someday with God’s help I will be able to ride like the people of Berkeley if I just keep at it. Another hobby I have decided to take up is running. I know…I always say I hate it SO much, but I think I just find it hard to run a couple miles when I haven’t properly conditioned or worked up to that. Again I always see people running, or hear people running in marathons and 5K’s galore and man, I want to be a part of that! Don’t ask why, I just do J so I plan to start very small and see where I get with that. Ultimately, if these are things I truly desire and I go out there and begin, the Lord will help me proceed, meeting me wherever I am. Also this summer, I have seen how important it is to love the people around me and accept them wherever they are, just as Jesus does. This kind of love is difficult, and as a human, I will never be perfect…but it is something I am striving for every day.
I want these letters to you to be informative, as a friend of mine I am confident you care about me as much as I care about you. If you wanted me to know something about you, I would hands-down want to hear about it! Maybe you will learn something yourself, maybe you will be encouraged, maybe I’ll make your day, maybe I won’t, maybe you don’t care what I post…that’s cool too! I just want you to know that if anything does come to mind, don’t be afraid to share with me. As I said, I want to know about you too! Feel assured that I am open to your opinions, questions, encouragement, and what have you.
I hope you enjoy this, my friends and family; I very much enjoyed writing this out today. We’ll see what my next letter brings. Know that you are very dear to my heart, and that I am praying for you.
“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call—one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.” Ephesians 4:1-7
Yours Truly,
Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Glad you started this up! Can't wait to keep reading your entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and love you!! You are such an encouragement, Nicole.
    You should follow mine (and Jed's) as well. fullnessofjoypsalm16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool! I thought about making a blog...so many cool things to share with people! :)

    Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

    We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly ementioning you in our prayers, remembering before four God and Father gyour work of faith and labor of hlove and isteadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonains 1:2-3)

    ReplyDelete